.post img { border:10px solid #191919; dotted:2px; } a:link{ colour brown } h2{ colour: brown;| }
  • Maiyegun's Diary

  • | Breaking News
  • | Sports
  • | Entertainments
  • | Politics
  • | Opinions |

Maiyegun General

Thursday 17 September 2015

Update: Tears of joy as The Sun DMD’s wife regains freedom



Toyin Nwosu with friends after she was released by her abductors on Thursday morning. Photo: Precious Igbomwulendu


There was jubilation at the Ago Palace Way, Okota, Lagos, residence of the Deputy Managing Director of The Sun Newspapers, Steve Nwosu, on Thursday morning following the release of his wife, Toyin by kidnappers.



She was found around First Gate, Amuwo Odofin, at about 2:20am by security operatives after her abductors, who demanded N100 million, told her family and the police she has been dropped there.

As early as 9:00am when The Nation got to the residence, family members and friends trooped in to solidarise with them.

Some of the visitors including members of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR) shed tears of joy after discovering that the woman has been released by her captors.

Initially, reporters were denied access into the compound for security reasons, but were later allowed in after Nwosu intervened.

At about 10:51am, the couple came out of their sitting room, accompanied by two others, to address reporters who were at the balcony.

Toyin wore a black dress, a blue leggings and a pair of slippers.

She looked beautiful and had a warm smile, but behind the warmness, was evidence of tension and trauma.

On her right eye, was a blood clot, which she said must have been caused by the leaves in the bush where she was kept.

Throughout the three minutes the chat with journalists lasted, the woman struggled to hold back the tear that filled her eyes, while her husband held and patted her calmly.

Nwosu, who stated that they were directed by the police not to grant interviews, commended all who made efforts to secure his wife’s freedom.

The Sun DMD disclosed that he does not know what happened, adding that he was only called by her kidnappers to go and get her at a certain location.

He thanked his publisher, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, the security agencies, his boss, Eric Osagie, and other media houses for the roles they played.

“We just want to thank Nigerians and to say we are happy she was released in the wee hours of today.

“I am sorry we might not be able to give the details because police who have been on the case all along said they will address a press conference this morning.

“We do not know how this happened, all we know is that we were asked to pick her up somewhere this morning.

“Incidentally, the security agents, including the commissioner of Police (Fatai Owoseni) were there too.

“I really do not know what happened besides that some people called and said we should come to a certain place and pick her, which we did and she is home.

“So, we want to thank all Nigerians and thank the government, security agencies and all those involved.

“I do not know how this came about, but the important thing is that I have my wife with me, she is back with us and we are grateful.

“I want to allow the police address their press conference this morning, and then I will also talk to my Chairman, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, as well as the Managing Director of The Sun, Eric Osagie, who did all the running,” he said.

Asked if ransom was paid, Nwosu replied by asking the reporters where he would get the N100 million demanded by the kidnappers.

“How much can I afford? As a journalist, where will I be getting a hundred million? Let the police say what they did and let Dr. Kalu also say how this happened. All I know is that I got my wife back. What happened in between, I do not know.

In addition, Toyin thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for her safe release.

“Firstly I thank God, the Lord Jesus Christ, the angels, President Muhammadu Buhari, The Sun Newspaper staff, my staff at the local government, NIPR members and our well wishers.

“I did not even know that I am this popular. I want to thank everybody including the media houses. God is just the ultimate.

“I thank you so much that I am alive and kicking. One thing I will tell Nigerians is if you are doing good, continue to do it. God will help us all,” she concluded.

The Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment